The right questions are clearly whatever you want to know the answers to. However if down the line you have multiple properties in the YES file, you may be faced with a comparison dilemma, and questions like ‘how long is the lease?’ suddenly become critical to your decision.
You want to know everything about your potential new home, but it’s easy to feel blinded by the emotional reasons for deciding on ‘the one’, like it looks amazing and you love it; so knowing what to ask at the viewing can help you build a level of expectation that starts to inform your decisions.
Having a full picture also gives you key negotiating leverage. And in the current competitive spring market, when properties are shifting quickly, you’ll save yourself precious time by asking the questions upfront.
So here we go. Whether buying or renting, viewing houses or flats, these property queries will have you sorting the keepers from the bloopers like a pro.
Renters | Save yourself the hassle of chasing details after the viewing
- Is it landlord or agent managed?
- What are the average costs of bills and council tax??
- How long’s the contract? And is there a break clause?
- Is the property furnished or unfurnished?
- How old is the boiler?
- What are the neighbours like?
- Is the garden private or shared?
- How much is the deposit?
- What’s the landlord looking for in a tenant: long term? Couples??Families? Pet-free?
- Are any bills included in the rental price?
- When’s the property available to move into?
- What’s the referencing procedure?
Buyers | Know the answers to help you pitch a successful offer
- Is the property leasehold or share of freehold? (Flat only)
- How long’s the lease? (Flat only)
- How much is the ground rent and service charges? (Flat only)
- How much is the council tax?
- Who are the neighbours?
- What direction does the garden face?
- Why are the vendors selling?
- Where are they moving to?
- Is there an onward chain?
- Any fixtures included in the sale?
- Has the property had works or renovations done?
- Is the roof insulated?
Now go view those gorgeous homes, whose pictures you can’t stop swiping.
And if you’re with an Estates East agent, you can rely on getting the answers to all these questions and more, at the viewing.
Estates East Team
Call us >> 020 8520 9300
Follow us >> @estateseast
Find your dream home >> estateseast.co.uk